Preparations for the Appointment of the Director General of the ILO
Since March 2021 the International Labour Organization (ILO) has had 2 sessions regarding the appointment of the next Director General.
Mr. Guy Ryder is the current Director General (DG) of the ILO and his term will be coming to an end on 30th September 2022. Elections for the next DG will be held on the 25th of March 2022. Thereafter the newly elected ILO DG will assume office on 1st October 2022.
The Governing Body approved the following timetable for the Director General Elections:
- 1 July 2021: the chair of the Governing Body called for candidatures for the position of the DG, the reception of candidatures was closed in October.
- 1 October 2021: Last date for the receiving candidatures.
- 20/21 January 2022: The Chairperson of the Governing Body conducts interviews with all candidates.
- 14-15 March 2022 (344th Session of the Governing Body): The Governing Body conducts candidate(s) hearings
- 25 March 2022 (344th Session of the Governing Body): The Governing Body conducts the ballot for the election of the Director-General
- 1 October 2022: The term of office of the new Director-General commences
The candidates are:
- Prof. Mthunzi Mdwaba - South Africa
- Mr. Greg Vines - Australia
- Mr. Gilbert F. Houngbo - Togo
- Ms. Muriel Penicaud - France
- Dr. Kang Kyul-wha - Republic of Korea
The rules governing the appointment of the Director-General of the ILO revolve around fairness and transparency. The person voted for by the majority will be the next Director General.
We wish every candidate good luck as they proceed to the next level.
For more information about the candidates’ profiles and vision please visit the ILO webpage.